Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Tue May 15 22:07:55 UTC 2007

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> And also, the only reason it goes slow is because it has to do
> (cd $$dir; make -V PKGNAME)
> for every dir in _LIB_RUN_DEPENDS.  But if instead we kept a file in /var/db/pkg called
> something like +PACKAGE_NAMES, where as each port is created we add in a one line entry with
> this mapping of origin to package name, then registration would take less than a second.  It

I also need to quickly look up origin -> pkgname and would suggest
placing this in the INDEX file. Then you have the foundation in place to
be able to run 'make vim-7.1.2.tbz' in, say, /usr/ports/ and it will
first create gettext-x.y.tbz and stuff. Ie, it could resolve/build
dependencies *before* even starting the build in editors/vim.

This then quickly leads to parallel pkg builds working (think: make -j3
vim-7.x.y.tbz)

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
"The trouble with the dictionary is you have to know how the word is
spelled before you can look it up to see how it is spelled."