xorg 7.2 upgrade report

Stefan Ehmann shoesoft at gmx.net
Tue May 15 06:55:36 UTC 2007

I finally finished the xorg upgrade on my CURRENT notebook. Please see this as
a success report, not an error report. I can provide more info/testing if
someone is interested in any errors I've encountered.

I think I've seen most of this already reported:

The build process went fine, except for the mergebase.sh. It failed after I
manually deleted the conflicting files and run the script again. So I just
unpacked the backup manually.

ModulePath in xorg.conf needed to be adjusted (this is mentioned on
ModularXorg wiki page, but not in the upgrade instructions).

After suspend/resume there were serious display problems (screen mainly black
and windows not updated etc). The culprit was some modelines I added to
support the 1280x800 native display resolution. Fortunately, those
no longer seem to be necessary. With modelines removed, this no longer
happens.

While playing around with xorg.conf, sometimes X wouldn't start any longer
with some error:
(EE) I810(0): V_BIOS address 0x4ae00 out of range
(EE) I810(0): VBE initialization failed.

In this case, xorg will only start after a reboot.But haven't seen the problem
with my current xorg.conf. It seems like it only happens when xorg.conf is
changed.

I got this error when trying to start any of the mesa demos:
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  158 (DAMAGE)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  4 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  48

I added this to xorg.conf as a workaround:
Section "Extensions"
        Option "DAMAGE" "Disable"
EndSection

Too my big surprise, after that, I got DRI working with my Intel 855GME card.

Basically, a success story with some minor quirks. Big thanks to everyone
involved.

Stefan