Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Mon May 14 05:27:50 UTC 2007

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>> With Xorg updated to 7.2 many ports take much longer to register than
>> to download, build and install.
>> I think it's time to abandon the recursive pulling in of dependencies.
>
> I think that you're missing the point of modular X; it was designed so
> that things could be plugged into one another and in the end everything
> would work as a fully functioning, cohesive system, where components
> could be prototyped, and where if there was a small change in the system
> you wouldn't have to rebuild all the components -- just the one modified
> component (and possibly the dependencies).
>
> Initial upbringing make take a lot more time than monolithic X, but it's
> easier to maintain over the long-term.

This is not about X, but about the overhead the ports system causes. X only
triggered this discussion, because it introduced many ports with a lot of
dependencies.

If you follow the thread, there's already some success in reducing the time
required to register ports with many dependencies. On my system registering
x11/xorg now takes between 2 to 3 minutes instead of 10, with all the changes.
I consider that a remarkable improvement.