Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Mon May 14 05:20:29 UTC 2007

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Basically I think we are stuck on making "make package-depends" go any
> faster.
>
> However I do think that the modifications I made to pkg_create go a very
> significant way to solving the problem of registration taking so very long.
>
> Stephen

You are right about invoking make being the problem. However, I was able to
increase the performance of package-depends by 20 to 30 percent, by avoiding
recursive make calls and moving the recursion into the stack of the shell
invocation.

With my changes there's less than 10% overhead over the sum of make calls. I.e.
 for 56 seconds of make calls (x11/xorg on my system) there are only 4 more
seconds of processing, instead of 15 to 20 seconds.

The original make package-depends does some things I don't understand. Once
I've figured them out I will post my little patch here.