Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Mon May 14 04:47:02 UTC 2007

[LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> With Xorg updated to 7.2 many ports take much longer to register than to download, build and install.
 > I think it's time to abandon the recursive pulling in of dependencies.

I think that you're missing the point of modular X; it was designed so
that things could be plugged into one another and in the end everything
would work as a fully functioning, cohesive system, where components
could be prototyped, and where if there was a small change in the system
you wouldn't have to rebuild all the components -- just the one modified
component (and possibly the dependencies).

Initial upbringing make take a lot more time than monolithic X, but it's
easier to maintain over the long-term.

-Garrett