hal daemon, and most a/v apps core dump after upgrade to 6.2

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Mon May 14 03:58:45 UTC 2007

I just upgraded to FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE, after running 5.3 for years.

My primary reason for upgrading was to take advantage of new features in xine
and mplayer, and to get flash functionality out
of /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin?

Maybe I shoulda waited?

Now I get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" when I try to run xine, vlc, or
mplayer.  Funny thing, though, is that kmplayer (from KDE 3.5.6) works.  Only
when kmplayer starts up it immediately runs mplayer in a second window (not
the kmplayer window) and it runs fine!  When I close kmplayer, mplayer
closes, too (uh ... duh!).  However, I used to be able to use kmplayer's
ability to capture an mms:// stream via a web page, and that is now gone.

I'm not sure if it is relevant, but hald also crashes with "Segmentation fault
(core dumped)" when I run it (on boot or manually)
from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald

Another thing I see is that artsd consumes 90-98% CPU (on dual-core system),
yet kde thinks it can't start the sound system (even though sound works from
audio cd's and videos played via kmplayer).  KDE tries repeatedly to start
the sound system, and launches a new artsd process for each try ....

I recognize that this is mosly KDE stuff, and much of these rely
upon /usr/ports/devel/ffmpeg (rather than /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg), but
it only started after upgrading to 6.2-STABLE, so I thought I'd try here
first, to see if anyone has similar experience and any pointers.  There are
no relevant bugs at bugs.freebsd.org, or at bugs.kde.org ... so I'm kinda
fishin', I guess :)

Clearly this is not critical, nor am I suffering from significantly reduced
functionality.  But if anyone is of a mind to point me in the right
direction, I'd be much obliged.

lane