Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 13 22:58:23 UTC 2007

Stephen Montgomery-Smith píše v ne 13. 05. 2007 v 17:53 -0500:
> Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> > Stephen Montgomery-Smith píše v ne 13. 05. 2007 v 17:32 -0500:
> >
> >> I have looked into making the registration and package-building process
> >> even faster.  It seems to me that the easiest way would be to redesign
> >> the package database so that it also includes a
> >> package-name/+DEPENDENCIES file, which would be a kind of reverse of
> >> package-name/+REQUIRED_BY.  This could be used instead of "make
> >> package-depends" in creating PKG_ARGS in bsd.port.mk.  Creating
> >> +DEPENDENCIES would be very easy - you "cat" together the files of the
> >> immediate dependencies ${RUN_LIB_DEPENDS} and do a "uniq" to the final
> >> result.
> >
> > Sounds like a plan.
> >
> > Also, it would fix part of a long standing problem, that dependencies
> > are recorded according to the ports tree, not according to a real state
> > of affairs on the victim's computer.
> >

> Unfortunately this won't happen quite as nicely as you think it should.
>   It proposed new scheme won't get the immediate dependencies correct.

Yes, unfortunately.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

"Ragtime" contained about forty-five seconds of Elizabeth McGovern
completely topless, but it got a "PG" in 1980.  I have no idea why that
did, or "Titanic" got PG-13, yet "Merchant of Venice" gets tagged with
an "R".  The MPAA is an intellectual and aesthetic embarassment.
  -- comment from IMDb board on US movie rating system