Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Sun May 13 13:44:00 UTC 2007

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 10:44:19AM +0200, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>> [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>>> I will give that a try, I've been experimenting with make a lot lately. Thank
>>> you for your patch, the second attempt seems to work fine on my system.
>> So far I've got a 20% performance increase, not really satisfying. The trouble
>> is that for every dependency the whole bsd.port.mk and whatever else is pulled
>> in by the dependency has to be parsed again. So the only way to make a
>> significant improvement is to have a short bsd.port.mk.
>
> Again, what evidence do you have that *that* is really the problem?
> Please try to be more scientific in your approach, it will help all of
> us to figure this out.
>
> Kris

I looked inside the bsd.ports.mk, and put in a few ${ECHO_MSG}
statements here and there.  I also put a few printf statements in
pkg_create.  I found out that there are two parts that take a long time:

1.  Pulling in the dependencies.  This is in effect doing a "make
package-depends".  You can do this for yourself, and see that it takes a
long time.  I honestly don't see how to make this faster, as presumably
it involves calling "make" on all the dependency ports, and I would
guess that each new invocation of make adds considerable overhead just

2.  Sorting the dependencies in pkg_create.  My fix now cuts this out
completely.  Thus there is no need to change the structure of
/var/db/pkg to use databases or anything like this.

Stephen