Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 13 11:42:35 UTC 2007

Hello Kris,

Saturday, May 12, 2007, 9:40:11 PM, you wrote:

KK> I think that before you abandon something you should first understand
KK> it.
  Can you explain, why we need to register "A depends on C / C required by A" in A -> B -> C chain?
  I can not see any advantages, only disadvantages:

 (1) Long registration time in case of big dependency trees
 (2) There is no way to say quick, why port X is installed: it can have zillion other ports in +REQUIRY_BY, but, really, be only optional dependency of one of these ports Y (and don't needed by others, but others really need Y).
 (3) If port A has optional dependincy B and C depends on A, we need to fix C registartion when A is rebuilt without B...

  I'm not smarter than ports subsystem authros and maintainers. It means, that I overlook some HUGE advantage to have flatten dependency tree in every port/package registartion.
  What do I overlook?

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev at FreeBSD.org