Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Sat May 12 17:04:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, 12 May 2007 12:32:38 +0200
"[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de> wrote:

> With Xorg updated to 7.2 many ports take much longer to register than
> to download, build and install. I think it's time to abandon the
> recursive pulling in of dependencies.

Does that matter all that much when there are ports that take
several hours to build?

As I see it the important figure is the total time taken to register
all installed ports, divided by the total time to download, build and
install them. As long as that figure remains small it doesn't really
matter that small ports install inefficiently.