HEADS UP: xorg 7.2 ready for testing

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu May 10 22:26:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 00:11 +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2007 23:28:17 Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Dear porters,
> >
> > We are now ready for xorg 7.2 testing!  Over the past week we have
> > done extensive tests of various upgrade scenarios, fixed many
> > remaining bugs, and now the upgrade is looking good.  Of course, we
> > can't possibly test everything, so that's where you come in.  What we
> > need now is for everyone to download this tarball:
> >
> >   http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/ports-xorg-7.2.tbz
> >
> > Extract it into a clean directory (i.e. not over the top of your
> > existing ports tree), then follow the directions in UPDATING to begin
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this require that the tarball is
> extracted over existing /usr/ports? Using portupgrade etc.

No.  DO NOT EXTRACT OVER EXISTING /usr/ports as this will cause patch
problems.  Instead, set the PORTSDIR environment variable to the
fully-qualified path to this new location.  For example:

# cd /space/xorg/ports
# tar -xjf ports-xorg-7.2.tbz
# setenv PORTSDIR `realpath .`

The realpath is important so as to resolve symlinks.

Joe