HEADS UP: xorg upgrade plans

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 7 18:38:53 UTC 2007

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After many months of hard work (mostly by flz@, as well as others) we
> are approaching readiness of the xorg 7.2 upgrade.  Because this is a
> huge and disruptive change, we're going to approach it very carefully.

Good news that this is moving forward! Congrats to all involved.

> The current plan is the following:
>
> 2) Final prep work in git repository.  We need a day or two to confirm
> the upgrade method for users.  Unfortunately testing has exposed a
> critical deficiency in portupgrade so 'portupgrade -a' will not be
> enough to give a working upgrade, and some pre-upgrade steps will be
> required.

Has portmaster been evaluated as an upgrade tool? I'm in a better
position atm to be able to address any deficiencies if that will help
speed this along.

> Also a post-upgrade step is required to deal with merging
> remaining files from /usr/X11R6 into /usr/local.
>
> 3) Once the proposed upgrade method is in place, we will publish a
> tarball of the prepared ports tree and request that *all* our ports
> developers test the upgrade on their own machines before it is
> committed to CVS.  There are many things that can go wrong and we need
> to make sure that the upgrade goes as smoothly as possible for our
> less technical users.  In particular all ports committers are expected
> to participate in this process of eating our own dogfood :)

Any updates on a timeline for this?

> 4) Once a suitable number of success reports (e.g. 50) are received
> and all reported issues are resolved, we'll proceed with importing
> into CVS.
>
> 5) CVS will stay frozen for a period to be evaluated (probably another
> couple of weeks) to deal with the inevitable remaining fallout as
> users encounter yet more problems with the upgrade.

Do you intend to keep the entire ports tree frozen for weeks? Perhaps
I misunderstand?

Doug