working version of acroread7 for FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE needed

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Mar 30 23:04:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 05:47:43PM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:57:06 -0400 Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 01:52:49PM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
> >>      I need a functioning version of acroread version 7 for my 6.1 system
> >> "pkg_add -r acroread7" does not find a package.  "portinstall acroread7"
> >> fails initially on an error return from a brandelf command, as it should,
> >> because the brandelf is being applied to a shell script rather than to an
> >> executable binary.
> >>       Does anyone on this list know where to find a version that will
> >> install and run correctly?
> >
> >Instead, how about reporting the problem properly so that it can be
> >fixed? :)
> >
>      Well, that may happen, too, at some point.  My interest at the present
> time is to get a working version of acroread 7 ASAP, which is why I wrote to
> the list.  Filing a problem report might get it fixed someday, but not right
> away in all likelihood.

Note that it's unlikely that someone will be able to magically tell
you how to obtain a working port when you claim unspecified problems
with the usual method ("just build it").

>      Please note, as well, that it is difficult to know where to begin when
> reporting problems with ports, packages, or the ports and packages subsystem.
> The ports and packages subsystem is a great idea, but in practice, it is the
> weakest part of the FreeBSD distribution.  It is easily rendered partially or
> wholly useless by bugs in some of the ports' setups themselves (python 2.4
> under 6.1, ruby18 under 5.4, for examples).  Many of the ports do not build
> properly or at all.  mplayer, for example, does not build under 6.1 because
> it hangs at a configuration screen that displays only part of the screen, will
> not accept any inputs, and can only be gotten out of by ctrl-C or some other
> terminating signal.  If I could get mplayer to work, I'd be another step
> closer to dumping Windows XP.

I think these problems you are having are quite unusual (although note
that 6.1 ceased being officially supported after 6.2 was released, so
it is possible things have rotted somehow), so you really need to
report them properly if you want to see improvement here.

If you need help on how to report a bug, we have documentation about
that.

Kris