broken port!

jre jre at girlcat.org
Tue Mar 27 21:52:54 UTC 2007

Hello,

The last two releases of FreeBSD include this port, and, once built,
constantly complains about no working P: lines, despite valid
configuration files from previous (and current) versions which *do* work
on other operating systems (OpenBSD) and older FreeBSD distributions.

When inquiries were made to the various support irc networks and freebsd
channels, the generic response was "use something more maintained like
ratbox or bahamut." While this ended up being our solution, it probably
doesn't look to cool to have broken ports in the default FreeBSD tree,
so I decided to send this message to the port maintainer.

*irc-2.11.1.1 <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/irc/irc>*
    The "Internet Relay Chat" Server
    Long description
    <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/irc/irc/pkg-descr> |
    Package
    <ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-stable/All/irc-2.11.1.1.tbz>
    | Sources <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/pds.cgi?ports/irc/irc>
    /Maintained by:/ ports at FreeBSD.org <mailto:ports at FreeBSD.org>
    /Also listed in:/ Ipv6
    <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ipv6.html#irc-2.11.1.1>

  Port description for irc/irc

Irc is a functional replacement for and improvement to talk(1).  Talk
is an old, primitive, atrocious, minimalist sort of keyboard/screen
conversation tool, using a grotesque, machine-dependent protocol.
Irc does everything talk does, but with a better protocol, allowing
more than 2 users to talk at once, with access across the aggregate
Internet, and providing a whole raft of other useful features.

Thank you much,
-jre