Thank you for portmaster

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Wed Mar 21 20:43:05 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 01:07 pm, Sticky Bit wrote:
> > Read the man pages for pkg_info, pkg_add, pkg_version, and
> > pkg_delete, to see all the things you can do with the ports/packages
> > system.  Those, combined with portmaster, make for an excellent
> > little ports toolkit.
>
> I am using FreeBSD for several years. I really know these tools very
> well and I already know what I want. They are part of my daily usage.
> So no help needed. ;-)
>
> Maybe you did not understand my intention. It is not a matter of what
> can be done with other tools but what can be done with portmaster. It
> was only a feature suggestion to improve portmaster not a request for
> help. Hope that makes it clear ...

Ah, but the Unix way is to use a handful of small single-purpose tools,
not create swiss-army-knife-style tools that each try to do
everything.  :)

Hence, why you should use pkg_add to install packages, pkg_info to get
information on installed packages, pkg_version to see which installed
packages have updates available, and portmaster to update installed
packages.  :)

Personally, I'd prefer to have -L removed from portmaster completely.  Or,
at least the "search for updates" part of it.  :D

--
Freddie Cash
fcash at ocis.net