SoC application: please comment!

Mikhail Teterin mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Mar 19 12:53:04 UTC 2007

What I'd like to see added, is a flag, which would cause bsd.port.mk to simply
ignore the explicit shared libraries' major numbers in LIB_DEPENDS.

In almost all cases requiring a specific number does not make sense (not from
a user's point of view, anyway). It only causes unneccessary rebuilds:

	* install mplayer, which uses libFOO.X
	* wait a week
	* update the ports-tree
	* try to install vlc -- oops, because of the shlib number bump of libFOO,
	  got to rebuild the libFOO and the mplayer, which uses it.

Of course, vlc would use libFOO.X just as well libFOO.X+1 -- in almost all
cases. So there is no point in _forcing_ the user to rebuild all that...

The proposed knob would allow the users to ignore the numbers. I hope, of
course, that the flag will, eventually, become default...

	-mi