Moving applications from <sgtty.h> to <termios.h>

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Fri Mar 16 08:42:52 UTC 2007

Hello,

As some of you may know, FreeBSD -CURRENT has split up the COMPAT_43
option to two separate ones: COMPAT_43, which implements a lot of old
crufty system calls and COMPAT_43TTY, which implements the old BSD TTY
line discipline. COMPAT_43 has been disabled on -CURRENT and some people
hope that COMPAT_43TTY will also leave somewhere in the far future.

Last year Kris made a list of applications that still make use of
<sgtty.h>:

	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-June/064010.html

I took a look at that list and basically you can divide it into two
categories:

- Applications that can use <termios.h>, but use <sgtty.h> at the moment
  (wrong flags in Makefiles or invalid search order in ./configure)
- Applications that use <sgtty.h>, because they don't support termios

I am willing to take a look at the first category of ports, because they
aren't hard to port. The second group of ports are often the more
older/deprecated ports that were written before termios existed, so in a
lot of cases they aren't used that often anymore.

I already took a look at the following ports:

- 110354: irc/party
- 110356: irc/blackened
- 110358: net/freewais-sf
- 110360: misc/heyu
- 110361: games/jzip
- 110363: ports-mgmt/portmanager

I'd love to have an up-to-date list of ports that still make use of
<sgtty.h>, but I don't have the material to run a complete ports build.
Is there anyone that run a complete build of Ports with the following
line in <sgtty.h>:

#warning "Using old TTY line discipline"

All ports that print this message during compilation still make use of
<sgtty.h>.

Yours,
--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>