php4 port - undefined ref to getopt_long

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Thu Mar 15 03:37:35 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 17:41, andrew clarke said:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 12:37:48PM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > Please be aware that FreeBSD 4.11 is no longer supported-- the
> > ports framework has been updated in a fashion which is no longer
> > backwards compatible with that version of the OS, so you're going
> > to be rolling your own software from here on out if you want to
> > stay with that version.
>
> I have a FreeBSD 4.10-REL system here with a still-working ports
> system, using the latest ports tree.  Judging from your comment
> above, this is impossible, unless I've misunderstood you.
>
> Should ports maintainers still be encouraged to support 4.x if it
> is not a lot of trouble?  Recently I've sent mail to two port
> maintainers with very minor patches to build ports on 4.x.

As Kris Kennaway wrote a few weeks ago:

"Now that 4.x is unsupported we will begin to remove the legacy
support code that has been accumulating for the past 7+ years and
complicating certain aspects of the ports tree."  "This means that in
the near future the ports tree will definitely become broken on 4.x
and older systems."

"Therefore maintainers are also no longer required to provide any form
of support for running their ports on FreeBSD 4.x, and may also remove
any legacy support code at their convenience."

Regardless of what the individual maintainers do to support 4.x, the
build infrastructure will not support it much longer. This should
definitely be taken as a "heads up" to upgrade ASAP.

> (I do intend to upgrade to 6.x at some stage, but not until a lot
> of ports that I use start to fail to build, and there is no sign of
> that happening yet :-)
>
> Regards
> Andrew

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Port Maintainer - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html