Ports 104877 causing big problems

Jean-Yves Lefort jylefort at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 10 01:30:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:05:31 -0800
Ade Lovett <ade at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Mar 09, 2007, at 15:14 , Doug Barton wrote:
>
> > Ade Lovett wrote:
> >> So, item (1): does the problem actually still exist with a port using
> >> the in-tree devel/libtool15 (via USE_AUTOTOOLS= libtool:15[:env].  If
> >> yes, empirical evidence will be required as an addendum to the
> >> PR.  If
> >> no, then we're done.
> >
> > So it sounds like a reasonable way to proceed would be for Kent to
> > save a copy of his current libgpg-error +REQUIRED_BY file, then run
> > one of the commands that mezz suggested, and compare the before and
> > after pictures. If the problem is fixed, they should be substantially
> > different.
>
> Correct.  This is the empirical evidence that needs to be determined
> and logged within the PR itself.

Not correct. Your approval indicates that you do not understand the
problem, which has nothing to do with the way the ports framework
records dependencies.

> Should it turn out that recent changes have not fixed the problem
> then, and only then, do we look at the appropriate solution.  This
> would most likely be along the lines of an additional stanza to the
> USE_AUTOTOOLS construct rather than overloading GNU_CONFIGURE since:
>
> 1. There are most likely a number of ports that define GNU_CONFIGURE
> but which do NOT make use of libtool

And?

> 2. When it comes to ports-wide operations (such as building indexes)
> we need to ensure that addition Mk/* infra-structural code is only
> brought in when needed.  There is a non-zero cost to processing each
> Mk/bsd.*.mk file, so it is important to only bring these files in
> when absolutely necessary.

As is the case here. Lengthening index builds is preferable to forcing
users to constantly rebuild their systems.

> 3. Ports that *are* affected by this issue (assuming the issue still
> exists) can be fixed in a more relaxed manner (eg: a conversion of
> GNU_CONFIGURE=YES to USE_AUTOTOOLS=configurehack [implying
> GNU_CONFIGURE=YES]) than a time-T switch.  It will also allow for
> such affected ports to have PORTREVISIONs bumped by the respective
> maintainers so as to more clearly identify improved operation to the
> consumers of those ports.

All ports that use libtool to produce a program or shared library are
affected by this issue.

--
Jean-Yves Lefort

jylefort at FreeBSD.org