Ports 104877 causing big problems

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 9 22:34:33 UTC 2007

On Mar 09, 2007, at 14:21 , Doug Barton wrote:
> Can we have some response from Ade, and/or portmgr on when this might
> be fixed? I would agree that the current behavior is suboptimal.

I'm pretty certain that this has been addressed with recent updates
to devel/libtool15 and devel/libltdl15 -- certainly it solved the
gnucash problem that had a similar failure case.

The patch as it stands in 104877 is flawed in that it brings in
bsd.autotools.mk merely with a GNU_CONFIGURE enabled and as such
makes tree-wide changes to those ports that use this stanza, but not
a USE_AUTOTOOLS stanza, thus giving no incentive for port maintainers
themselves to ensure that the fixes are punted back upstream.

So, item (1): does the problem actually still exist with a port using
the in-tree devel/libtool15 (via USE_AUTOTOOLS= libtool:15[:env].  If
yes, empirical evidence will be required as an addendum to the PR.
If no, then we're done.

Item (2).  The patch as stands will not go in, since that part that
is bsd.port.mk fundamentally violates POLA.  If such a mechanism is
required, then it will need to be developed as an addendum to the
existing USE_AUTOTOOLS stanza, so that it is *very* clear which ports
need to be upstream-fixed.

-aDe