How to create a patch that removes a file

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Thu Mar 8 13:15:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 01:43:41PM +0100, Spil Oss wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've succesfully upgraded the port for an application that has an
> older version in the ports collection.
> I'd like to submit the patch in a PR, but I don't know (yet :D) how to
> include the removal of a file from the port (that patch-file is now
> already included in the distributed sources).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/book.html#PORT-UPGRADING

    If the maintainer asks you to do the upgrade or there is no
    maintainer, then you have a chance to help out FreeBSD by
    preparing the update yourself! Please make the changes and save
    the result of the recursive diff output of the new and old ports
    directories (e.g., if your modified port directory is called
    superedit and the original is in our tree as superedit.bak,
    then save the result of diff -ruN superedit.bak superedit).
    Either unified or context diff is fine, but port committers
    generally prefer unified diffs. Note the use of the -N option--this
    is the accepted way to force diff to properly deal with the
    case of new files being added or old files being deleted. Before
    sending us the diff, please examine the output to make sure all
    the changes make sense. To simplify common operations with patch
    files, you can use /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/patchtool.py. Before
    using it, please read /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/README.patchtool.

Also, state the removal of that file in the Fix part of the PR,
that will give the commiter a heads up about the removal of it.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin at mavetju.org    |          Weblog: http://weblog.barnet.com.au/edwin/