FreeBSD Port: nxserver-1.4.0

Simon Proven simon at simonproven.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 00:23:53 UTC 2007

dewey hylton wrote:
> Quoting Simon Proven <simon at simonproven.co.uk>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to work out how to make nxserver build for amd64 as I don't
>> have a working solution of any kind (either tightvnc or vnc also being
>> i386-only).
>>
>> I have been messing around trying to get it to build, and got past the
>> -fPIC issue with a couple of patches.  However once it compiled, it did
>> *not* create libX11.so, it only produced libX11.a
>>
>> I've  not managed to work out why this is yet; the Makefile generated in
>> lib/X11 is not sufficiently different from that in i386 to be the issue,
>> I perhaps need to diff the entire tree of generate Makefiles so I can
>> see if there is a difference that's relevant.  I'm unfamiliar with the
>> xfree86 build system so that is not helping me.
>>
>> Do you have any ideas about what might be the best approach to making
>> this work?  I'd really like to get it working.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Simon
>
> hello, Simon - thanks for your interest in the project!
>
> unfortunately i was never able to get the 1.4 sources to compile on a 64-bit
> system. in fact, i was never able to get the 1.5 sources to fully compile even
> on a 32-bit system. that was a good while ago, though, and 2.x have been
> released. thanks to another interested party, 2.x compiles on 32-bit systems
> (i'm not sure about 64-bit yet). you can find alpha ports here:
>
> http://www.deweyonline.com/nx/freebsd.html

I downloaded this:

freenx-060+nxserver-210.tar.gz
<http://www.deweyonline.com/nx/freenx-060+nxserver-210.tar.gz>

I found I had to make one change, in the file
files/patch-nxviewer-nxviewer-Imakefile I had to remove if
defined(i386Archtecture) from the patch where it sets JPEG_INC.  The
build completed, but just as before I find that libX11.so.6.2 is not
created; only libX11.a.  So I remain at the same point as i was before,
but at least I am working with a more recent port to start from.

Thanks for your help so far.  I will have to investigate further on the
libX11.so not being built.

Simon