Can't Get MySQL Port Up

Drew Jenkins drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 22:21:26 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>
To: Drew Jenkins <drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2007 4:53:45 PM
Subject: Re: Can't Get MySQL Port Up

First up, thank you very much for your detailed analysis and comments. Concerning rebuilding the ports, I don't believe this is necessary because I have the exact same problems on my home server, and I never deleted the /usr/local/include dir on my home server.

>So chown mysql:mysql /etc/my.cnf && chmod 600 /etc/my.cnf.

Okay, I did that.

>You're missing a ton of necessary tables in /var/db/mysql/mysql, which
>are all required for MySQL to run.  Authentication tables, host access
>tables, etc..
>
>The MySQL startup script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server is supposed to
>create all of these tables for you if the /var/db/mysql/mysql directory
>does not exist (otherwise if it does, it assumes all the necessary
>tables exist).  The script that creates all the necessary tables is
>/usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db and it comes from the MySQL guys.  The
>script is also supposed to fix permissions on /var/db/mysql and friends
>-- so the fact that your mysql directory was not fixed up means this
>script didn't run at all, or bailed out for some reason.

No, I have a ton of files in said dir.

>Before you installed the port, did you have an existing /var/db/mysql
>directory?

No. This is (was) a clean build.

>If not, then I'm stumped.

Don't be. You led me to realize the ownership of /var/db/mysql/mysql was wrong :0 Changed it, cracked it up, and away she went!
Thanks!
Drew