Apache13/MoinMoin/Python vs PATH? What changed?

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Thu Mar 1 01:39:32 UTC 2007

Hi Daniel,

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:41:00AM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> >Funny thing happened after the last upgrade (upgraded to
> >6-STABLE yesterday): the moinmoin wiki that I've been
> >playing with stopped working.  A little fiddling found
> >that I could make it work again by changing the shebang
> >at the top of /usr/local/www/wiki/moin.cgi (ScriptAlias
> >points there, in httpd.conf) from #!/usr/bin/env python to
> >#!/usr/local/bin/python
>
> See this thread:
>
>   http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.freebsd.cvs/browse_thread/thread/a0344851d94df36f/e94a3c524ff22732?lnk=st&q=&rnum=3#e94a3c524ff22732
>
> If that link doesn't work, search groups.google.com,
> "/usr/bin/env python group:*freebsd*" and see the
> "cvs commit: src/etc rc.subr" thread.

Thanks for the link: it worked fine for me.

I'm a little surprised that I appear to be the first one bringing up a
problem with this change, given that it happened three months ago.
Since there was no warning in UPDATING, were all of the python ports
patched at about the same time?  (I haven't done a portupgrade all that
recently: just FreeBSD itself.)

What is the approved "fix" for this problem?  Setting a PATH that
includes /usr/local/bin in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh?  Or the
shebang patch to the python script itself, that I have already made?

Personally, I agree that the env trick is a nasty hack, and the
ports patch mechanism should be well able to tell the script
where the right python interpreter is.  Particularly since there
can legitimately be more than one in the system.

Cheers,

--
Andrew