Installing Openoffice.org-2-RC and bison conflicts

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jun 18 23:12:56 UTC 2007

On Jun 18, 2007, at 3:59 PM, Clint Olsen wrote:
> I'm trying to install openoffice, and some sub-portion of the port is
> installing bison2, and later it tries to install bison and then it
> complains about conflicting ports.  How is one supposed to deal with
> sub-port conflicts like these?  Why do we /ever/ allow ports to have
> conflicts with other ports?

Two ports which install files to the same place conflict-- you can't
have two different versions of a file at the same path location.
With some work, it is possible to install multiple versions of some
ports (like Perl, Berkeley DB, GNU autoconf, etc) using a version #
suffix, and symlink the version you prefer to the unqualified name:

% ls -l /usr/local/bin/perl5
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  24 Mar 23  2006 /usr/local/bin/perl5@ -> /
usr/local/bin/perl5.8.8

...but it doesn't magically happen.