Keeping track of automatically installed dependency-only ports

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Jun 15 12:11:36 UTC 2007

On 2007-Jun-15 01:22:38 +0200, Nikola Lecic <nlecic at EUnet.yu> wrote:
>Yes, now I see what you want. For example, you want xmms, portupgrade
>installs xmms+x1,x2... Then you install mplayer+y1,y2... with an option
>that links xmms as its dependency; then you want 'pkg_deinstall mplayer'
>to leave xmms intact.

You also want to handle build dependencies which are not required
once the port has been installed.

>At the first place, I think such a situation occurs extremly rare.

For an opposing PoV: I often see ports that looks interesting or look
like a possible solution to a problem and will install the port to
have a play.  If it turns out that it's not suitable, I would like to
be able to easily unistall the port and any dependencies it pulled in
that I didn't already have.  Currently, this is a fairly delicate
operation and I usually base it on timestamps within /var/db/pkg.

--
Peter Jeremy