exim PORT -- when to use? when to 'go manual'?

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Jun 4 16:07:20 UTC 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 10:01 AM, snowcrash+freebsd wrote:

> i've just installed exim on a "small" freebsd-based router -- via
> PORTS install -- as a sendmail replacement. no probs, either.
>
> now, I want to "upgrade" exim on that router to add 'just'
> DNSBL-filtering on the router, and have it function as a transparent
> gateway to another lan-based, exim router.

Does that "upgrade" involve a different version of the exim tarball
than the one used in ports, or is the change that you need somewhere
else?

> do folks recommend still using the PORT install?

It depends.

> iiuc, general advice for PORTS is "use the port, don't touch the
> port" ... true?
>
> if so, how/where do I configure exim if not mod'ing the port's
> MAKEFILE?

Make your own patch of the port and keep that some place that won't
be over written by portsnap or whatever you use to keep your ports
tree up to date.
Then have a script that patches your port tree after you do such an
update.

Of course you should submit your patch to the port to the port
maintainer.

Cheers,

-j