Uggg!

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 1 20:45:57 UTC 2007

Warner Losh wrote:
>> Best solution is to back up /var/db/pkg if it is in danger of deletion
>> by a wanton admin :)
>
> The ONLY data corruption that I saw when my laptop died was *ALL* of
> the +CONTENTS files going away.  It seems to have died during the
> updating of the meta-data for the dvdauthor port.  Why all the files
> of unreleated packages would disapper is a mystery to me, unless
> mergemaster, or one of the pkg tools, deleted them all, and then
> wanted to rewrite them and I got screwed between these two steps.

I think you're thinking of portmaster, mergemaster doesn't touch ports
stuff. What portmaster does when it updates +CONTENTS files is to
update a temp copy first, then move the updated file into place after
it's done. Not sure what portupgrade does.

In terms of easily recreating them, I can't think of a way to do that
reliably other than to build the ports again. portmaster relies
heavily on the data in +CONTENTS, and it couldn't even rebuild your
ports in place without them since it wouldn't be able to find the ORIGIN.

What you could do with portmaster is to pick a high level leaf port
with a lot of dependencies (something like firefox) and do 'portmaster
-aft /usr/ports/www/firefox' (make sure you specify the directory in
/usr/ports, not the pkg directory).

hth,

Doug