Keeping track of automatically installed dependency-only ports

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Sat Jul 7 23:09:43 UTC 2007

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 09:57:59 -0700
Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Personally I think that portmaster's approach is the right one. If you
> accidentally delete something that it turns out you really do need,
> you can always install it again. [...]

I think that the point of this thread was how to avoid such unwanted
accidental deletitions -- a very useful thing when you, for example,
install/deinstall a lot of applications for testing purposes, as
someone pointed out. There is down the thread a proposed idea (related
to portupgrade/pkg_deinstall) about introducing a +NEVERDEINSTALL file,
e.g. here:

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2007-June/041997.html

I don't know very much about portmaster so I don't know if something
similar already exists there.

Nikola Lečić