Problem with devel/silc-toolkit

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun Jan 28 20:13:59 UTC 2007

--On January 28, 2007 9:55:42 AM +0100 Pekka Riikonen <priikone at iki.fi>
wrote:
> :
> Thanks for letting us know about these issues, but we have not updated
> the  files at silcnet.org since they were put up there.  They were last
> modified Dec 19 2005.   I suspect you had some local problem or download
> problem or some mirror was corrupted.  I also verified the files this
> morning and the md5sums are as follows:

Well now you have me even more concerned.  I downloaded the file directly
from silcnet.org using both the port and ftp, and I also downloaded the
file on my Mac here at home using ftp to pull the file both from the http
and the ftp download sites.  In all four cases, the md5sum and the sha256
sum did not match the file that was downloaded.  Furthermore, the size of
the file was a meg less than it was supposed to be.

Then, while I was downloading copies from some of the mirrors to check
them, the file from silcnet.org suddenly matched the md5sum and the size
of the legitimate file.  While it's entirely possible that *both* my
FreeBSD box *and* my Mac were somehow screwed up, it's hard to believe
that *multiple* downloads on both boxes would arrive at the same results
and then suddenly they would change, yet nothing changed at the
distribution site.  It's certainly odd enough to warrant a thorough
investigation, I would think.

There was obviously a problem somewhere, but I'm not convinced it was on
both of my boxes and nowhere else.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas