Non-daemon programs requiring kernel modules

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 28 18:58:31 UTC 2007

On 1/28/07, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
> Quoting "Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer at FreeBSD.org> (Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:35:30 +0300):
>
> > I'm porting a simple util requiring aio(4). My plan is
> > to install a wrapper script which includes rc.subr(8)
> > and uses its required_modules mechanism.
> >
> > If anyone has a better idea, please tell me.
>
> Just tell at port/package install time the requirement. Every linux
> program needs the linux module or the corresponding kernel option. If
> the code is not available at runtime, the user will get an error. Unix
> is not for dumb people, so I don't think we need this low-level
> hand-holding.

That's one opinion. But Unix is also not about dumb
developers. As a ports developer, my job is to make
it easier for users to run third-party software and
that's just what I'm trying to do to the extent of
my skills and motivation...