new port: libtool: link: cannot find the library `'

Markus Brueffer markus at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 27 21:35:51 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007 19:15, Mathieu Prevot wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 05:23:48PM +0100, Markus Brueffer wrote:
> > Hi Mathieu,
> >
> > The problem is that the buildsystem that kmess ships is hosed. Try the
> > following in the port's directory (regenerating the buildsystem):
> >
> > # make patch
> > # cd work/kmess-1.5pre1
> > # gmake -f admin/Makefile.common
> > # cd ../..
> > # make
> >
> > Now the build should succeed. I don't have much time at the moment, but
> > will come back to you tonight with details on how to fix this properly.
>
> It made it, indeed. Thanks for this.
> I will wait for details.

Here is a version of the port that should build and install flawlessly (only
compile tested, no runtime tests as I don't use MSN):

http://people.freebsd.org/~markus/stuff/kmess.tar.bz2

What I did was the following: As soon as you notice funny automake messages
after the configure stage, you know something is wrong with the buildsystem.
In most cases, by my own experience, these are only noop changes the author
did after generating the buildsystem that changed one or more timestamps.
Using gmake -d in the builddirectory you can see which files are affected and
correct the timestamps manually (look at the post-patch target). That's what
I did in this case.

In some rare cases, the author really forgot to regenerate the buildsystem
before releasing the distfile. If this is the case, you have to regenerate it
by yourself (as shown in the first mail). After that you can choose between
creating a mega patch for the port, hosted at an external site, or releasing
a completly new tarball. The latter one is mostly more appropriate, as the
size of the patch often exceeds the size of a new tarball.

Please let me know if kmess works as expected. If so, I'd like to commit it
(judging from the information from the website, this version should be quite
stable).

Btw: This port is currently unmaintained. Would you like to be the new
maintainer of it? (hint, hint) :)

Best regards,

Markus

--