SpamAssassin (spamd) eating a lot of CPU....

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Wed Jan 24 04:16:19 UTC 2007

Since a recent update of Spamassassin to:

PORTVERSION=    3.1.7
PORTREVISION=   3

I've noticed that each email that gets scanned causes the process to eat
up 80+% of the CPU time, and it's slow...

I'm not really sure what changed.

Likewise, when I start it up for the first time, I see:

[ top output ]
49106 root        1 106    0   290M   267M RUN    0   0:17 *98.52%*
perl5.8.8

I have a Dell system here, and it cranks up the fan every time a message
comes in now, with the recent spamd.

Curious if anyone else has had these issues, etc.

The system is not otherwise active, so I'm certain it's not a resource
issue (or constraint thereof).

Thanks.