xlockmore - serious security issue

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Jan 14 18:28:47 UTC 2007

[I'm not sure why this thread is being resurrected after 6 months]

On Sat, 2007-Jan-13 22:19:49 +0300, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
>On 6/14/06, Simon L. Nielsen <simon at freebsd.org> wrote:

I came across this problem several years ago.  I drive xlock from
another program (that records my working time) so I just modified my
calling program to loop until xlock exits normally.  As a result,
when xlock crashes, I see the unlocked screen flash and then relock.
That's good enough for me.

>Now that we had this discussion, I only use the swarm
>mode and never had any problems with it. But what
>about those who still don't know about the issues?

I agree that this would be an issue for some people.  It's not clear
to me that it's enough of an issue to forbid the port.

>I'm quite sure an ignorable/overlookable message is
>not enough.

This is a generic problem with the existing pkg_message approach.

> A user must fully understand all the
>implications of this software being used. If it's
>fundamentally flawed, let's forbid/remove it _until_
>the author has a statement for us, not after that.

As an alternative, how about we just install xlock in ${X11BASE}/libexec
and have ${X11BASE}/bin/xlock be something like:

#!/bin/sh
until ${X11BASE}/libexec/xlock "$@" ; do true; done

(Add error checking as necessary).
--