Restricting (human) language and character set in /usr/ports

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 13 23:22:48 UTC 2007

Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 1/13/07, Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Andrew Pantyukhin writes:
>>
>> >  I'm not sure if there's a policy already, but it seems
>> >  we have discussed this before.
>> >
>> >  Can we limit /usr/ports (the whole ports collection) to
>> >  English language and ASCII characters? This restriction
>> >  should probably apply to all text data (with possible
>> >  exception for patches).
>>
>> I don't follow this issue (much), so could you explain what's
>> broken about the /status quo/?
>
> It depends on what you mean by /status quo/, but in
> short, when I look at COMMENT, pkg-descr, pkg-message,
> comments in Makefile and other such text data, I
> expect to see English language and ASCII characters.
>
> There are ports that don't follow this expectation and
> I'd like to change that.

I'm not sure it's quite so cut and dry as that. For example, I think
it's probably reasonable for the /usr/ports/<language> ports to have
some non-ascii stuff to start with.

Is there a problem you're trying to solve here, or is this just a
matter of tidying things up a bit?

Doug