Restricting (human) language and character set in /usr/ports

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 13 21:39:08 UTC 2007

On 1/13/07, Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

> Andrew Pantyukhin writes:
>
> >  I'm not sure if there's a policy already, but it seems
> >  we have discussed this before.
> >
> >  Can we limit /usr/ports (the whole ports collection) to
> >  English language and ASCII characters? This restriction
> >  should probably apply to all text data (with possible
> >  exception for patches).
>
> I don't follow this issue (much), so could you explain what's
> broken about the /status quo/?

It depends on what you mean by /status quo/, but in
short, when I look at COMMENT, pkg-descr, pkg-message,
comments in Makefile and other such text data, I
expect to see English language and ASCII characters.

There are ports that don't follow this expectation and
I'd like to change that.