files to be checked on meta-ports

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Tue Jan 2 14:08:33 PST 2007

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Wesley Shields wrote:

WS> > WS> I don't know if it's acceptable to look there but you can always use
WS> > WS> ${PKG_DBDIR}/${PORTNAME} to get /var/db/pkg/portname (by default).  I'm
WS> > WS> not sure I understand the "constant path changes" you mention.
WS> >
WS> > Errm, this refers to current port, not to the dependency (say, my
WS> > misc/ws-preferred wants to install x11/xorg)
WS>
WS> You're right.  In the example you give above I would use
WS> ${PKG_DBDIR}/ws-preferred which is what you mentioned in your original
WS> post (and now makes sense to me, my apologies for the initial
WS> misunderstanding).  Though if your metaport name ever changes you will
WS> have to chase it in other ports.
WS>
WS> I suppose one way to do it would be to have your metaport install a
WS> "dummy" file that you can use for checking purposes in other ports.
WS> This is easily done in a custom do-install: target.

That's exactly what I'm thinking about. However, we should invent some
consistent policy for this. What about touching category::origin file in some
directory (in after-install phase)? Or even more, shouldn't this be a part of
standard port installation process?

I think this should be discussed with portmgr@, CC:ing them.

Sincerely,