Problem w/ MySQL

Drew Jenkins drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 18:59:51 UTC 2007

Hi;
This perhaps should be directed to the MySQL list (*perhaps*), but I tried posting twice and it never went up. I successfully installed MySQL from port on both my home server and the new production server I'm building. Then, stupidly, I taught myself that one can delete actual files when deleting symlinks :( I wiped out my entire /usr/local/include dir. Since I had a duplicate on my home server, whatever I couldn't rebuild by simply rebuilding the ports, I just tarballed and replaced on the production server. That worked grand for everything...except MySQL. It started complaining that it didn't have permissions for file "ibdata1". However, said file doesn't even exist on my home server, so how could it be part of the port buildout?! So, I created said file, gave it the appropriate permissions, and now I have this error:

070227 12:32:00  mysqld started
InnoDB: Error: auto-extending data file ./ibdata1 is of a different size
InnoDB: 0 pages (rounded down to MB) than specified in the .cnf file:
InnoDB: initial 640 pages, max 0 (relevant if non-zero) pages!
InnoDB: Could not open or create data files.
InnoDB: If you tried to add new data files, and it failed here,
InnoDB: you should now edit innodb_data_file_path in my.cnf back
InnoDB: to what it was, and remove the new ibdata files InnoDB created
InnoDB: in this failed attempt. InnoDB only wrote those files full of
InnoDB: zeros, but did not yet use them in any way. But be careful: do not
InnoDB: remove old data files which contain your precious data!
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Table 'mysql.general_log' doesn't exist
070227 12:32:00 [ERROR] /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Can't create/write to file '/var/db/mysql/example.com.pid' (Errcode:
13)
070227 12:32:00 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file: Permission denied
070227 12:32:00  mysqld ended

So, I created said pid file, gave it the appropriate permissions, tried the command again, and it threw the same error _and_ blew up the pid file! Like it didn't even exist...

What do?
TIA,
Drew