Optionally depending on one of two ports (or none of them)

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Thu Feb 22 13:13:16 UTC 2007

I maintain the ports security/dns-proxy-tor and
security/trans-proxy-tor which both require a Tor
control port being available somewhere to do their job.

They can work with both Tor versions in the ports collection
(security/tor and security/tor-devel), and I originally wanted
to register a dependency on the one that is already installed,
or use tor-devel if no version is installed.

To do that I added the RUN_DEPENDS line:

${LOCALBASE}/bin/tor:${PORTSDIR}/security/tor-devel

which mostly works as expected, but fails if the tor
port is installed, in which case a dependency on tor-devel
is registered.

I'm aware that my RUN_DEPENDS line is incorrect,
but I'm unaware of a better way.

Also by now my goal has been slightly changed and I want
to give the user the choice to either use one of the Tor
ports, or on none (if Tor is running on a remote system or
in another jail).

The easiest solution is to not register any
dependencies and to simply print a pkg-message
to inform the user about his choices, but I was
wondering if there is a better way (that doesn't
involve shell scripts)?

Simply adding OPTIONS is not an option (harhar) because
it wouldn't prevent the user from choosing the
wrong Tor port (the Tor ports use identical pkg-plists).

Fabian