Policy on new ports

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Feb 21 14:03:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 01:18:33PM +0100, Fabian Keil wrote:
> Is that an assumption or do you really know someone who
> first uses a free license and then objects to people
> distributing his program in compliance with that license?

We have, in the past, had to remove ports because the author objected,
despite our (portmgr's) own belief that having the port exist was
reasonable according to the license.  In one case the author threatened
legal action.

Whether it is from not wanting to support the port on FreeBSD (despite
our assurances, in some cases people will indeed contact authors directly),
or not wanting to support FreeBSD, or something else, I really can't say.

However, our policy is to remove a port if an author objects.

Fortunately, this is an extremely rare situation (maybe once a year), so
in general you don't have to worry about it.

mcl