Policy on new ports

LI Xin delphij at delphij.net
Wed Feb 21 12:07:20 UTC 2007

Atz-Soft wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'd be interested in the policy about new ports in the following situation:
>
> The program has the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
> Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option)
> any later version.
> The program is not in the FreeBSD ports system but can be compiled on
> FreeBSD without problems with approx. 5 commands.
> And because of that the author may not want his program in the ports
> collection.
>
> So will the program be added even if the author may disagree with that?

My understanding is that the build skeleton (we call it "ports") is not
a "derived" work of the original application and therefore you own the
port itself, and it's up to you to decide whether it can be included in
the ports collection.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/