WITH_DEBUG too restrictive on CFLAGS?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Feb 19 00:38:53 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:52:43 -0600, Sean McNeil <sean at mcneil.com> wrote:

> I have found recently that the following ports will not compile on amd64
> when WITH_DEBUG is set to "YES":
>
> 	converters/recode
> 	devel/pwlib
>
> searching for all ports that set CFLAGS with -fPIC, I find:
>
> 	archivers/p7zip
> 	archivers/rpm4
> 	archivers/grzip
> 	audio/anthem
> 	audio/bmp-wma
> 	audio/liba52
> 	audio/libworkman
> 	audio/osalp
> 	audio/swhplugins
> 	audio/xmms-a52dec
>
> You get the idea - it is used pervasively.
>
> The problem is, when WITH_DEBUG is YES, /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk will
> strip out all flags from CFLAGS of the type -O* and -f*.  I don't think
> this is a good idea.  First, the debugger can handle optimized code
> pretty well and I can't build ports with debug introduced yet have ports
> run optimized.  Second, -f* is a little over-aggressive when the one
> flag that really must be removed is -fomit-frame-pointer.
>
> Would it be possible to have this reviewed and, hopefully, changed to
> allow -O and -f switches and just eliminate -fomit-frame-pointer?

I am not happy with the current WITH_DEBUG either. The strip out all flags
 from CFLAGS destroy everything. I think we should not strip and leave it
alone by just add '-g'. We can always just tell to the users to rebuild if
they add something wrong in CFLAGS.

Cheers,
Mezz

> Cheers,
> Sean

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org