pcm vchans (was: Re: [semi-OT] Re: portupgrade O(n^m)?)

Sat Feb 17 16:18:06 UTC 2007

Quoting Craig Boston <craig at yekse.gank.org> (from Thu, 15 Feb 2007
20:25:00 -0600):

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 05:30:29PM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
>> Enable the virtual channel support (see output of "sysctl -a | grep
>> vchans") and the kernel will automatically mix multiple sound streams
>> into one, and auto-assign programs to the different /dev/dsp0.*
>> devices as needed.  Much nicer than the ALSA methods, and something
>> that FreeBSD has handled for a *long* time.  :)
>
> Someday I hope that in a future release maxautovchans will be set by
> default on cards that don't support hardware channels, so it can "just
> work" no matter what your hardware is.

7.0 will come with vchans enabled (=4) by default (exept my memory is
betraying me and I didn't committed this change) for all sound devices.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
To make an enemy, do someone a favor.