[semi-OT] Re: portupgrade O(n^m)?

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 16 00:32:01 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:17:00 -0600, <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> =====
>> Pros:
>> =====
>> -It's written in python (portable).
>
> Isn't our more portable for hardware than Python? Also, it is smaller?
>
>> -It's a system which focuses on ports compilation from source, not binary
>> package installation.
>
> This is very cons. The ports can do both, so it is more flexible and is pros
> than this. In our ports tree, you can even choice to create your own packages,
> install your own packages that was built by you, use FreeBSD packages or
> compile by via ports tree.
>
>> -Stores information in a db format (not Berkeley DB, but something
>> different)for entire system in a common file; stores installed leaf package
>> information in another simple textfile.
>> -Has flags for stability reasons, since some packages are alpha or beta and
>> don't compile under certain architectures.
>
> No thanks, I am against this. I have seen the messy over at Gentoo's forums for
> you can't do the mix very well. Our ports have the better stability than their
> for in both stable and bleeding edge at the same time. I have used Gentoo
> before very long time ago and it is too often to break stuff, I personal prefer
> Slackware or Ubuntu over Gentoo and portage anytime for Linux.
>
>> -Portage files are fetched via rsync.
>
> What is speical about it if you put rsync as in Cons? Why replace it when CVSup
> works fine?
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20021223-newsletter.xml#doc_chap2_sect4

Well, it takes a lot of time with the diffs and all in rsync.. that's why I added it to the cons.

I have no clue why I accidentally added it to the pros as well. Probably did some copying and pasting from my original letter and forgot to delete that part ><.

I just think that it would be nice to get a common solution for all these items. I dislike gentoo after 2 years of use and switched over to FreeBSD because overall the system is much better (in particular more stable).

I just want to help make a great system even better--that's all; the only parts of the system I can possibly thinking of improving that also align with my interests are the ports system and sound system (daemonizing it like ALSA, instead of having stuff block /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer, like OSS).

-Garrett