default postgresql 7.4 -> 8.1, OK?

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 14 04:29:07 UTC 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 09:17 , Koen Martens wrote:
> I'm all in favour of this. Any specific reason you're not moving to
> the 8.2.x branch?

8.2.x isn't really stable enough yet for Joe User to pick it up when
they want postgresql support for random-port.  I'm definitely in
favor of making 8.1.x the default version, and would go a little
further, and suggest putting in a suitable deprecation date (say 12
months for 74 and 6 months for 80).  8.0->8.1 is pretty
straightforward, whereas there are definitely folks who need to stick
with 7.x for a while, hence the difference in expiration dates.

-aDe