How does portupgrade -ar work?

Lars Stokholm lars.stokholm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 19:31:09 UTC 2007

First of all, is it safe to just use 'portupgrade -a' or should I use
'portupgrade -ar'.

Secondly, I've seen people use 'portupgrade -arR', but isn't that
completely unnessesary?

And finally, how does 'portupgrade -ar' work? Let's say two ports were
updated, and an upgrade was required: libiconv and libslang. Would
portupgrade be intelligent enough to upgrade both before upgrading slrn
(which depend on these)? Or would portupgrade first upgrade libiconv and
slrn, and then libslang and slrn again?

Are there (other?) problems with using 'portupgrade -ar'?

--
Regards
Lars Stokholm