xfce-4.4.0: Unable to contact the Xfce Trash service

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Thu Feb 1 22:24:06 UTC 2007

Hello!

   I've just installed the x11-wm/xfce4 metaport over the fresh RELENG_6,
ports tree was csupped about 31-Jan-2007 12:00GMT. Now I have the following
ports installed during this procedure:

p5-XML-Parser-2.34_2
intltool-0.35.4
libxfce4util-4.4.0
atk-1.12.4
jpeg-6b_4
tiff-3.8.2_1
cairo-1.2.6_1
pango-1.14.10
libxml2-2.6.27
shared-mime-info-0.19
hicolor-icon-theme-0.9_2
gtk-2.10.9
libxfce4gui-4.4.0
startup-notification-0.8_3
libxfce4mcs-4.4.0
xfce4-mcs-manager-4.4.0
xfce4-mcs-plugins-4.4.0
xfce4-panel-4.4.0
xfce4-wm-4.4.0
xfce4-appfinder-4.4.0
xfce4-session-4.4.0
gnome_subr-1.0
dbus-1.0.2
dbus-glib-0.72
p5-URI-1.35
libexo-0.3.2_1
popt-1.7_2
desktop-file-utils-0.12
Thunar-0.8.0_1
xfce4-desktop-4.4.0
xfce4-utils-4.4.0
a2ps-a4-4.13b_3
xfce4-print-4.4.0
gtk-xfce-engine-2.4.0
orage-4.4.0
mousepad-0.2.12
m4-1.4.8_1
bison-1.75_2,1
gnomehier-2.2
vte-0.14.2_1
Terminal-0.2.6
xfce4-icon-theme-4.4.0
xfce4-wm-themes-4.4.0
xfce4-mixer-4.4.0
xfce-4.4.0

However, the following window pops up during the startup of the
xfce4-session from the .xinitrc:

 	Trash Error

 	Unable to contact the Xfce Trash service.

 	Make sure you have a file manager installed that supports the Xfce
 	Trash service, such as Thunar.

The same window pops up when I press right button on the Trash icon and
select "Open" item. OTOH Thunar itself works well. During the Trash -> Open
attempt I can see the following message on the text vty which runs "startx"
command:

** (xfdesktop:52017): WARNING **: org.xfce.Trash.DisplayTrash failed: The name
org.xfce.FileManager was not provided by any .service files

I've noticed that dbus port installs the daemon startup file
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus - I've added dbus_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf
and started the daemon. It runs, however this doesn't cure the problem.
I've even tried to create new user account in order to exclude possibly
stale config files - the same problem there. Now I've run out of ideas.
Is this a known problem? How to resolve it?

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua