Optional patching

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Dec 19 13:30:48 PST 2007

--On Wednesday, December 19, 2007 15:53:40 -0500 Wesley Shields
<wxs at atarininja.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 08:13:16PM +0000, RW wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:13:06 -0500
>> Wesley Shields <wxs at atarininja.org> wrote:
>>
>> > I don't think it matters really, but is probably a matter of personal
>> > preference.  The only problem with using an option that I see is that
>> > if the user has no idea if (s)he is on a 64bit platform and turns the
>> > option off.  It's for this reason I'd suggest using the .if ${ARCH}
>> > approach.
>>
>> I would have thought that the ".if ${ARCH}" method was the only
>> sensible way of doing it. Packages are built without any options set.
>
> They are built using the default OPTIONS in the Makefile - ie: those
> that are specified as "on".  If what you say is true then one of my
> ports would not build properly - it requires at least one of a few
> options to be on.
>
> Another reason not to put it in as an OPTION is that if the option
> defaults to off the package will fail to build on 64bit platforms.

I completely agree.  I just submitted a PR to update the port using .if ${ARCH}
==

Selecting the correct architechture should not be something the user has to do
when installing a port.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst