courier-imap-4.3.0 breaks connecting/logging in for some users

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Mon Dec 17 11:13:51 PST 2007

Hi there,

just a quick observation since I don't have time to fully debug this
tonight:

On 6-stable from mid-October 4.2.1
<ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.3-release/mail/courier-imap-4.2.1,1.tbz

works fine, but the most recent port
# $FreeBSD: ports/mail/courier-imap/Makefile,v 1.122 2007/12/12
15:51:28 oliver Exp $

breaks connecting/login for some users with some clients, at least.

No errors are logged (or I can't find them but I was looking at
*.debug) for the clients that don't work. Clients (squirrelmail, Apple
Mail, Thunderbird, fetchmail) appear to report a dropped connection
and/or wrong user/pass.

Anybody else seeing this? How can I convince couriertcpd/imaplogin/
couriertls/imapd to produce *any* log output for those connection
attempts? Googling around I only found suggestions to start strace/
ptrace'ing processes, and I find that a rather annoying method to find
the root cause.

Thanks,
Stefan

--