Limitations of Ports System

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 14 14:31:47 PST 2007

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> Remko Lodder wrote:
>> David Southwell wrote:

>>> I do wish you could acquire the maturity to distinguish between
>>> the advantages that could come arguing your case clearly and
>>> collegially and the disadvantages that acrue from being
>>> personally antagonistic towards someone with whose analysis you
>>> happen to disagree.
>>>
>>> For me when someone becomes abusive they destroy their own
>>> credibility and get to sound as though they believe their
>>> opinions antitle them to be hateful and that their own views are
>>> somehow godgiven.

>>> IMHO Shouting make you less rather than more credible.
>>>>
>>> Endless repetition does not add strength to analysis!!
>>> IMHO You would sound more credible if you used the IMHO a bit
>>> more!! You might also gain some respect if you followed your own
>>> advice. Make suggestions for others to consider - do not decide,
>>> in advance, they are thick skulled if they do not agree with
>>> you!!

>>> IMHO Shouting, hectoring and lecturing does not add weight to
>>> anyones point of view.
>>>

>> These threads have gone far enough, please consider taking this off
>> the FreeBSD mailinglists and discuss this privately. The majority
>> does not like the current ideas and want to see something usefull
>> first. People like Aryeh and David are not really persons that one
>> would see as the persons generating the ports-infrastructure-ng
>> till they have code.
>
>> If you both keep pissing off people that have a fair share in the
>> ports collection already, please do it by other means, dont crowd
>> the mailinglists with it. Your ideas might be perfect in your world
>> but they aint in ours (till you have shown working code).
>
>> So please stfu till you have some code and be done with it <DOT>.
>
> Developing in a vacuum is a recipe for disaster.... we are making
> fairly good progress believe it or not I only see an other 1 or 2
> threads being needed before actual coding starts, *BUT* producing a
> system no one wants is pointless thus it is wise to gather as much
> input as possible...  why is it that everyone who sees the whole
> concept as being negative has offered no input what so ever about what
> should be done (even saying "the current system is fine" is useful to us)

simply because we have seen it failing a lot of times. Please take this
offlist,discuss this and generate a nice PoC, then get back to us, till
that time, DONT bother the ports list with it or any other list. You are
the single reason for a HIGH S/N ration on MOST lists I am subscribed to
that is a REALLY -BAD- thing.

You Simply dont understand the way it works here and I can understand
that till a certain point of view; take the advise; discuss it
elsewhere, and get back with working code (yeah I repeat it twice
because nobody seems to get through to you, and MANY people tried it
already).
--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko at EFnet